Monday 18 January 2016

Book Review: Yes, My Accent is Real

This was a special book for me, mainly because it challenged me on two counts.

1. Reading memoirs isn't really my thing. I find it like a one sided conversation where the person is on an endless narration.
2. I don't read/watch stuff without reading a review or knowing what people thought of it. With this one, I just took a blind leap.

A wonderfully crafted, humorous and down to earth book that is a breeze to read. Being a big fan of "The Big Bang Theory' , I read the book in Raj's voice and it was fantastic! The book bought to life the man behind Rajesh  Koothrapali, the ace comedian who charts out his journey.

















           What made it fun was the instant connection you feel while reading it. He doesn't make himself a hero or essential the 'cool stud'. Its a very very believable story. It could have been any XYZ person entertaining everyone with his fumbling journey. Right till the point where he landed the role of Raj, his story is like any Indian Student out to taste the world. What differs here is the naturally funny rendition that is a talent of Mr. Nayar.

          I watched The Big Bang theory's Season 9, episode 13 (The empathy Optimization) right after I read Yes, My Accent is real. It changed the way I look at Raj. Now I can relate to the guy who plays Raj, I can see the troubles he faced to reach there. It is a humbling read which also makes you feel like reaching to capture your dram isn't really that bad an idea. 


As far as the book is concerned, it is a properly packaged read. Bringing in the show name in the beginning, relating it to a childhood fascination who made an appearance on the show, this book is very logically arranged.  I found myself lost in the story that was endearingly sweet. the thoughts recorded on the airplane were perfect breaks to the story, making the jump from scene to scene  little easier. The explanation of different festivals is again a treat to read. As an Indian, I expected them to be a rehash of the old, run-of-the-mills tale you tell the foreigners while explaining the festival. But it was very well done.
 

















This book has dreams, passion, patience, music, adventure and love. This book was my companion on a train trip from Junagadh to Mumbai, and it did the job perfectly. I will remeber the journecy because of this read and vice versa.

Kudos to 'Yes, My accent is real'. A must read for all the fans of the show. You will Laugh!

   

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sana,
    you wrote about our Raj K and you didnt even bother informing us about it... we would have loved to publish it. check this - http://www.caleidoscope.in/nostalgiphilia/friendly-relationships-tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew that! Would have sent it to you first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too good girl! Love your light hearted style of writing. I am reading your blog at 1:00 a.m., after a long day and its so refreshing-:) thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too good girl! Love your light hearted style of writing. I am reading your blog at 1:00 a.m., after a long day and its so refreshing-:) thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete